Hikers: Cathy, Laura, Carol
Distance: 6 miles
Elevation Gain: 1063 ft.
Items found inside a hollowed out tree stump.
Laura practicing her crane stance.
Carol is as colorful as the flags themselves.
Visitors are welcome to leave their own personal momentos.
There is even an animal shrine. Several wooden boxes that we can only assume that are filled with the ashes of lost loved ones.
The Eight Verses of Thought Transformation
Excerpted from the FPMT Education Dept. sadhana THE EVERFLOWING NECTAR OF THE MAHAYANA THOUGHT TRAINING: ANNIHILATING THE DEMON OF THE SELF-CHERISHING MIND
Tibetan Root Text by Langri Tangpa Dorje Senghe Translation by Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche
1. Determined to obtain the greatest possible benefit from all sentient beings, who are more precious than a wish-fulfilling jewel, I shall hold them most dear at all times.
2. When in the company of others, I shall always consider myself the lowest of all, and from the depths of my heart hold others dear and supreme.
3. Vigilant, the moment a delusion appears in my mind, endangering myself and others, I shall confront and avert it without delay.
4. Whenever I see beings who are wicked in nature and overwhelmed by violent negative actions and suffering, I shall hold such rare ones dear, as if I had found a precious treasure.
5. When, out of envy, others mistreat me with abuse, insults, or the like, I shall accept defeat and offer the victory to others.
6. When someone whom I have benefited and in whom I have great hopes gives me terrible harm, I shall regard that person as my holy guru.
7. In short, both directly and indirectly, do I offer every happiness and benefit to all my mothers. I shall secretly take upon myself all their harmful actions and suffering.
8. Undefiled by the stains of the superstitions of the eight worldly concerns, may I, by perceiving all phenomena as illusory, be released from the bondage of attachment.
Little did we know, this is NOT a swing..
...it is used to ring the bell; talk about one of life's most embarrassing moments.
Six Mile Trail Loop, 8 Verses Trail
(Found out after the fact, there is a trail map available at the gift shop, or here on yelp, courtesy of Ann L.)